The Khan Audio VTDI is an all-tube direct box. It utilizes a single 12AU7 in a unique 2-stage design that maxmizes both the harmonic richness of the tube as well as powerful low-impedance output drive capability. The VTDI is ideal for use with a number of instruments and sources including bass guitar, acoustic instruments, keyboards and synth modules. The sonic effect of the tube in the VTDI in brings out a warmth, a clarity, and a realism not found in other DI boxes. Acoustic instruments will sound sweeter. Bass instruments will sound bigger, punchier, clearer, and warmer. Keyboards/synths will sound less digital and more natural.
The VTDI has a high 2.2 Meg Ohm input impedance as well as high headroom to accomodate a wide range of instrument sources whether it be a passive piezo acoustic pickup or a hot active bass or synth. The "thru" jack allows a "tube processed" signal to feed your guitar, keyboard, or bass amplifier inputs. A specially designed balancing transformer drives a low-impedance XLR output to deliver this same tone to a mixer, mic-preamp, or anything requiring a balanced XLR connection. Power it down and the VTDI automatically goes into passive mode. This handy feature allows it's use as a normal passive DI as well as a high quality tube DI. A high voltage power supply runs the 12AU7 tube to its maximum potential, and a DC filament supply also helps to keep noise and hum to a minimum.
With unlimited uses and unsurpassed tone, the VTDI will enhance your sound and provide the ultimate live DI setup or recording process.
- All Tube Signal Path
- 1 x 12AU7 Tube
- 1/4" Instrument Input with 6dB Pad Switch
- 1/4" Instrument Thru "Tube Processed"
- Tube Driven Transformer Balanced XLR Line Output with Ground Lift
- Power off "safe" mode - works as a passive DI
- High Headroom Gain Stage Design
- High Filtered Internal Power Supply
- Input Impedance: 2.2M ohm
- Max Signal Input: 3v RMS (+10dB)
- Gain: -10dB to XLR Output
- Frequency Response: 8Hz - 120KHz +/- 1dB
- THD (1KHz 0dB Input): .75%
- Signal to Noise: > -92dB
- Size: 8.0" x 5.0" x 2.25"
- Voltage: 120vAC
- Weight: 4lbs